We are seeking to appoint to a Director of Research Infrastructure & Education with the gravitas and interpersonal skills to be the executive lead for research infrastructure and education. The post holder will report directly to the Chief Executive and will be a member of the LHP Board.
We are looking for an experienced indivudual who is able to drive collaboration across complex systems. We are looking for a dynamic individual who can drive system transformation and work collaboratively to manage complex partnerships. It is critical that the post holder is able to encourage commitment from others and earn respect of operational and senior colleagues.
For an informal, confidential discussion please contact Dr Dawn Lawson, Chief Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Mark Jackson, Director of Delivery & performance (deputy CEO) at Mark.Jackson2@liverpool.ac.uk
To apply: https://bit.ly/2H1KVLm
Interviews will take place in Liverpool.
Liverpool Health Partners (LHP) is a strategic partnership between all the Liverpool region’s NHS organisations and 3 Universities; University of Liverpool, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and Liverpool John Moores University. Liverpool Health Partner’s role is to create an Academic Health Sciences System for the Liverpool City Region. We will do this by aligning the biomedical and applied health research strengths across academia and the NHS. We will focus these strengths to address health need and to support inward investment for Liverpool city and the wider region. The ambition is to make Liverpool the best place in the world to undertake health research.
The Director of Research Infrastructure & Education is a new, executive director post reporting directly to the Chief Executive. The Director of Research Infrastructure & Education will be a member of the LHP Board and S/he will have key responsibilities for building the research capacity and capability of the LHP Trusts and Universities and will be responsible for leading and developing applications for external funding. The post holder will oversee the delivery, performance and expanison of athe LHP Joint Research Office, and will be the senior managerial lead to develop effective relationships with commercial and non-commercial partners. S/he will have key responsibility for establishing and delivering a vibrant education portfolio which underpins LHPs priorities.
Furthermore, the Director of Research Infrastructure & Education will support the Chief Executive to ensure partner organisations to work together effectively to improve the research infrastructure and delivery, supported by a coordinated education programme across Liverpool. This will include engaging with Chief Executives, NHS and HEI partners, LHP directors, Trust CEOs and executive directors, and academic leaders across the region. The Director of Research Infrastructure & Education will be expected to develop key relationships externally across the NHS and HEI sectors; and with the Innovation Agency (NW Coast AHSN), Chesire & Merseyside STP, NIHR North West Coast Clinical Research Network, NIHR Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre, Northern Health Science Alliance (NHSA), commercial organisations and national funding bodies.
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Key relationships: Chief Executive, Director of Research Programs, Director of Performance & Delivery (Deputy CEO), Head of Director of Performance, Head of Joint Research Service, Office Manager, Programme Directors, Programme Managers, LHP Board, LHP Theme Oversight Group,
- Executive lead for the Joint Research Service (JRS) and Chair of the JRS Executive Operational Group
- Provide leadership support to develop an effective organizational development and training package for the Joint Research Service, including creating a career structure
- Work with the Chief Executive and Director of Research Programs to identify new sources of funding and oversee bidding/application processes
- Executive Lead for the LHP Education portfolio, this will include identifying key opportunities for LHP to provide unique value across Liverpool
Strategy & planning:
- Develop, lead and ensure delivery of LHP’s Research Capacity and Capability Program
- Develop, lead and ensure delivery of LHP’s Education Portfolio
- Create concise, accurate reports for the LHP Board, Management Team and key stakeholders
- Support the Director of Performance & Delivery develop implement and monitor effective communications and engagement with partners, including targeted communications with relevant external stakeholders (e.g. commercial companies and national funders)
- Develop a robust, agile Joint Research Service that is able to contribute to delivering the LHP strategy
- Ensure the Joint Research Service develops in a way that has robust business resilience
- Support the Chief Executive in developing creative and ambitious new partnerships with commercial partners, national and international funders
- Develop, lead and implement an effective growth strategy for the Joint Research Service
- Work closely with the Director of Research & Director of Delivery & Performance to ensure LHP is exploiting opportunities as they arise
- Develop a robust, agile Education Portfolio that is able to contribute to delivering the LHP strategy
- Develop, lead and implement an effective growth strategy for the Education Portfolio, including attracting external income
Delivery & Performance
- Support The Director of Performance & Delivery, develop and implement a robust performance management system for the JRS, ensuring it is compliant with all regulatory and legislative requirements.
- Support the Director of Performance & Delivery, develop the key performance indicators management system that provides robust, near time feedback of performance
- Support the Director of Performance & Delivery, develop and oversee the risk management strategy and implement mitigating actions
- With the Director of Performance & Delivery, lead the financial planning process, budget setting and management process for the Joint Research Service
- With the Director of Performance & Delivery, lead the financial planning process, budget setting and management process for the Education portfolio
|Education & Qualifications
- Masters degree in healthcare management related field or equivalent
- Evidence of sustained personal & professional development
|Previous knowledge & experience
- Significant experience of building credibility with clinical academics, NHS CEOs, clinicians and managers
- A high degree of working knowledge of the NHS, higher education and training
- A substantial and impressive track record of achievement and leading change at senior level
- Experience of working in a complex system and across boundaries
- Experience of undertaking/managing researcha and / or education
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving ability
- Excellent written, oral, verbal reasoning and communication skills
- Ability to lead without authority to influence others
- Ability to create collaborations and manage complex partnerships
- Well developed leadership skills that command respect, encourage commitment from others and promote a positive and motivated culture
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and thrive in an ever changing, complex environment
- High levels of emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Good personal resilience