- Liverpool City Region is home to some of the premier clinical and research experts in these CVD fields.
- To address the regional heart-related health needs the Liverpool Centre for Cardiovascular Science (LCCS) has been formed. This is a brand new high profile strategic research collaboration between Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool Health Partners, and the University of Liverpool.
- Professor Gregory Lip is leading the new initiative to develop the LCCS into an internationally renowned research centre, that is relevant to local population needs and beyond. The LCCS is a virtual integrated academic NHS centre for the advancement of cardiovascular and stroke research.
- The challenge the LCCS faces is to develop effect and integrated ‘bed to bedside’ models that integrate personnel, results, resources and facilities from across our partner institutions and beyond.
- Prevention, early detection and treatment of CVD can help patients live longer, healthier lives.
- The potential benefits to society of discoveries and advancement in CVD science are enormous on a local, national and global level.
*CVD includes coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral arterial disease, vascular dementia, chronic kidney disease, cardiac arrhythmia, type 2 diabetes, sudden cardiac death and heart failure.
The Programme Director is Professor Gregory Lip and the Programme Manager is Paul Burdett. For more information about this research programme, please email Paul.Burdett@liverpool.ac.uk.